Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Demonstration Clay Modelling

Demonstration at Royal South Australian Society of Arts - Tuesday 4th August 2009

I took a couple of hours out of my day to talk about the process of terra cotta clay modelling, firing and finishing. In between showing some finished sculpture and a flexible silicone mold I was able to get a good way into shaping this little bull sniffing at the air for contenders to the throne. Since it was just a demonstration I finished off by returning the clay to the yellow ice cream container you can see in the picture. That was perhaps not the best thing to do in front of an audience - there were distincly audible sounds of people being aghast at my deed. I do tell students that they should not get too precious about their art - everything man made is impermanent - and nothing should be elevated too highly.

No comments: